Monday, June 1, 2009

Weird Walk

There is a trail by the river up here that is absolutely perfect. It's one mile one way, has 5 bridges, and lovely benches and 18 baby ducklings. We've enjoyed it daily for two weeks since we discovered it. I've also lost about two pounds since then too. All is good.

Last night we embarked on the journey. We made it fine to one end. We sat on the bench at the end for little sip of water as we traditionally do. Suddenly the wind picked up, it started to thunder, and we were swarmed by about 75 mosquitoes. It was insane. They were everywhere. Fortunately we had some bug spray with it. Taylor grabbed the spray and started trying to simultaneously cover all of us. When it didn't seem to be happening fast enough we panicked and just started spraying the swarm. It was crazy. I'm sure it was quite the comical scene. I'm glad we had the spray. We have a couple bites, but made it quite unscathed considering.

Just as we got away from the blood-suckers the wind picked up even more and started blowing cottonwood seed everywhere. It was like it was snowing; practically a blizzard. However those little devils went right up your nose if you dared try to breath. We tried to hurry on to beat the impending storm (thunder continued), but we had a mile to go in a blizzard of cottonwood. Soon after this started I noticed that one seemed to have gotten in my (seeing) eye. I did have a ton of bug spray on my hands, so I didn't want to touch my eyes, so I kind of ignored it, and we made it to the car before the rain really started.

Then as soon as I opened my eyes this morning I knew I end up at the doctor's office. As I only have one eye, I guess I have to be cautious with the other. I didn't want to go to Salt Lake to see my ophthalmologist, as I was sure it was just a corneal abrasion, so I went to InstaCare. They put some numbing stuff in my eye and had a look. I guess the seed was still in there (glad I went!). He wiped at it a bit which was fine because I could't feel it. He thought he got most of it but there's still a speck that wouldn't come out. He said maybe it's just pigment left over or whatever. They did another drop that would make scratches fluoresce under a black light. There were no serious scratches, so I went home with an antibiotic and stuff to irrigate my eye. He said to give it two days. We'll see how it goes. This is my continuing life. An innocent walk and I end up seeing a doctor. Of course if I'd been wearing my fancy sunglasses, I probably wouldn't have this problem...but it was dark and shady, so I took them off. Now I know.

Oh, and Kyle got two bottom teeth today. Maybe he'll stop yelling at us now.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That's quite the adventure. I am ultra impressed that you were prepared with bug spray! What are the odds? Hopefully your eye will be better asap and also that Kyle will be a happy camper again now that his teeth are in.

    ReplyDelete