Thursday, January 27, 2011

I failed. I quit. And I'm happy.

**TMI Warning: this post is about fertility. If that makes you uncomfortable, just move on. 

For the last six months I've been doing a clinical study on the effects of aspirin on early gestation. They think that taking a baby aspirin a day will help prevent miscarriage. Basically I took an aspirin/placebo a day and folic acid and used the provided fertility monitor every morning. The reward for becoming pregnant was a small handful of Benjamins followed by more at delivery. Two of my friends have been successful in the study. (As a side-note I found out today when I finished the study that I was indeed taking aspirin.)

Today I finished my last month without becoming pregnant and essentially failed the study. (And I'm just going to say that I know in the scheme of things, six months is nothing. I have good friends and family who have gone years and years without success. It's just where I am now. Please, dear friends, don't hate me for complaining about six months, I really know it's not much.)

I don't like to fail at anything. I know the whole "If at first you don't succeed..." quote is lovely, but I still hate failing. Even worse was reporting to the study---and now to you---that I failed. I don't like not being able to make something happen. I, of all people, know that babies come when they should come (we've done both sides of the spectrum with Claire taking a year, and Kyle was a BIG surprise), but I still don't like it.

So along with failing today, I decided to quit trying for a few months. I hate quitting almost as much as failing, but I couldn't take it anymore.

I have lost three pregnancies and only succeeded in two, so the odds are not in my favor. The first time I was pregnant, I think I was blissfully unaware of things that could go wrong. Boy did that change when I lost that baby at almost 7 weeks. From then on I have become super-aware of doing things (even midwife's tale things) that might cause a problem from pre-conception and on into pregnancy. "Trying" for me means lukewarm showers, no caffeine, no heavy lifting, no ibuprofen, no day/nyquil, no drug other than tylenol, and knowing exactly what cycle day I'm on. It basically takes over my life. I know that there are people who can do this without being obsessive---but I'm  not one of those. I'd love to be the lady who, when asked how far along she is, says "I'm probably about 4 months?" Instead I'm the one who tells you, "21 weeks, 3 days, and he's starting to digest things this week!" Everything about babies takes over my life.(Am I weird? Do you do this too? How do you NOT do it?)

I really want another baby or two or three, but I just can't handle it for another continuous six months or however long it takes. I thought I'd be totally bummed about quitting---But you know what? It feels great! I feel such a burden lifted. I celebrated with a hot shower, a Coke, and ibuprofen (after all, I have a broken rib, and Tylenol wasn't doing much for the swelling) I turned in my monitor (and will have $100 coming in the mail soon, a reward for completing the study), and I feel like a new woman.

So for a few months I'm just going to be me. I'm going to paint my room without worrying about the effect of paint fumes on a fetus. I'm going to take time to actually let my rib heal with proper medication. I'm going to lift things without worrying. I'm even going to diet---or maybe even exercise!

How odd that quitting and failing something so important to me would feel so good? Maybe I'll quit a few more things---or better yet, I'll try more things while leaving open the possibility of failure.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm sorry. I hope things turn around for you guys soon! And second of all, the VERY first thing I felt when we knew we couldn't have more kids was relief. Weird, right? The sadness and the mourning came after, but the very first thing was relief. It was out of my hands. I didn't have to make a decision anymore! It was very freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our baby was a miracle too. Folks in Utah asked if we liked each other! She took 5 years and was worth the wait. Did the thermometers, obsessions, forums, and considered drugs. In the end, I stopped trying, ended up on steroids to treat a spider bite and the rest is a happy, healthy three year old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! It took us 18 months with the last one, only to have it end up in a miscarriage at 16 weeks. I hated hearing the whole "God is giving you a challenge" stuff...regardless if it was true- its not what I wanted to hear. We stopped "trying" and low and behold, next month we were expecting. No matter how long it takes you- keep staying positive and know that the 2 little blessing you do have, TOTALLY ROCK! Good Luck Jackie!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found the babies come when you stop trying. That's where 2 of mine came from. So, don't try, just don't prevent and you may get your wish.
    Broken rib? When and how did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jac, I couldn't agree with you more! After years of trying with zero success and about losing my mind obsessing over "why can't I get pregnant" and crying each and every time I got pregnant, I decided to take a break and focus on ME. Those 3-4 months of just ME, after years of 'baby,baby,baby' was just what I needed.
    It helped me get past the pleading and begging with Heavenly Father for a baby to now knowing that it's in His time...not mine.
    Nick and I had the discussion recently that we'll continue to try, but if we fail at succeeding we know it's okay. It's okay, if clomid, IUI or In-Vitro doesn't work in the future. It's okay if adoption is our only chance and it's okay if it's just us forever and ever.
    After a little R&R I stopped obsessing and was able to see the bigger picture. It helps immensely....it will help your perspective in almost everything, it will help your relationship with your spouse and family, it will help your friendship with friends...all in all, you will find yourself becoming YOU again.
    No matter how long anyone tries...whether it's 3 months, 6 months, 4 years or 10 years...that pain and 'wanting' is all the same.
    Love ya Jac!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS above when I said I cried each and every time I got pregnant...I meant when I didn't get pregnant. ;O)

    ReplyDelete