Saturday, May 23, 2009

I'm weird

I don't do well in emergency situations. The first time Claire ever injured herself with blood (bit her tongue when she fell) I was a wreck. The only thing my brain could get to wipe the blood was a hot pad. I've gotten better at dealing with this over time (still, only like 4 other incidents involving blood have ever happened at our house).

So last night we're getting ready for bed. It's 1:30am (I know, one day we have to grow up and have a normal bedtime). I just found a Smith's brand lotion that is supposed to be the same as Jergen's Daily Glow. I put it on at night so that I don't smell bad all day. Anyway, I was slathering it on myself. At $2.50 a bottle I decided I could afford to do arms AND legs. To avoid staining my garments I decided to go without them for a while while the lotion dried. So there I am, in my birthday suit, all covered in the special tan lotion, and the fire alarm goes off. All of the alarms in our house. I start running around like a crazy woman. A naked crazy woman. I ran from the bathroom, to my room, down the hall, back to my room, and here are my thoughts during my running:

Get the kids.
Ah! I can't just run outside naked.
Okay, put clothes on.
But wait, I don't want to be in a fire without my garments on. Put those on first.
But I don't want the lotion to get on my garments...
Get the kids.

And the alarm turned itself off. Taylor strangely just sat at the computer the whole time watching me. It must have been entertaining. I was happy (but a little bugged) that the kids slept through the whole thing. The alarm in our room was flashing, so I looked up the instruction manual online (what did people do to before the internet?) and apparently the flashing means that that alarm started the alarms. We don't know why it went off. Probably just a mistake. There was a fan and open window in that room, so I wonder what the deal was. Anyway, it was comical. And I am crazy.

Something to think about though: I saw a TV special a while ago that showed that kids sleep through alarms. They sleep so deeply that apparently the only thing that will wake them up is their parent yelling their name. They showed tons of kids calmly sleeping through alarms (or pulling pillows and blankets over their ears). Not one kid in their study got up and out of bed. My kids slept through. In the future I really might invest in one of these new alarms that record the voice of a parent saying the child's name and then play it really loud with instructions on leaving the house.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is hilarious. Slightly scary, but hilarious. I don't keep a real calm head when there is an emergency either, but I don't think I've run through the house naked during a fire alarm before. I do hate those lotions though. I always want to use them, but they are such a pain and usually end up staining my clothes no matter what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing SO STINKING HARD right now. That's so funny. My biggest irrational fear is that we'll have a fire in the middle of the night and I'll have to go out in my garments or that a natural disaster will happen while I'm in the shower.

    We saw that report as well. It's so scary that they just sleep through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hilarious/terrifying story! Really though...great description of what happened. If only that lotion didn't have to be so complicated...the story could have slightly less drama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have unfortunately had lots of experience with this.

    Why do they always go off in the middle of the night. OUrs just kept going off every few hours. We had a defective on that would trip all the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete