Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Twenty-Eight

I turn 28 tomorrow. I like that. I finally feel like age is helping me to find my niche in the world. I like that I have two kids, one of which is almost 4. It makes me feel like I finally have some real world experience under my belt. I actually happy that 28 is one year closer to 30. I'm excited for 30. I feel like maybe when I'm 30 I won't be trying so hard to prove myself as a grown-up. I'm looking at it as a destination, not a dreaded number.

Last year I got a lot of nice gifts---but mother nature offered a couple not so nice gifts. Namely: snow on my birthday and acne. I woke up on my birthday with acne. It was like I was 17, not 27. So for the last year each night before I go to bed and every morning when I wake up I have to decide if I want to use products to prevent acne or wrinkles. I'm yet to find a acne/wrinkle dual product. Maybe the folks over at Oil of Olay or Mary Kay or whoever can work on that. So far I am yet to keep either at bay. However with how my eye has looked in the last few months, I doubt people are noticing my skin.

I've already had a great birthday with my Symphony trip and today my parents surprised me by being in the Chapel during our temple outing. We spent the day with them and had a nice time at the final party with Taylor's cohort and faculty. It made my mind go back to two years ago when we had our first party. The whole program seemed overwhelming. Now we have a new family member (Kyle) and Taylor will defend his thesis in about 12 hours. I'm so proud of him. He managed to complete a very difficult program and internships and write a thesis and other huge projects while still spending plenty of time with us. We never felt neglected. Happy Birthday to me---we're done!

And then I have my surgery Friday. While I (not-so) secretly enjoy the down-time, I'm a little nervous because I think I'm getting allergic to Percocet, and I don't know what I'll have for pain management. That scares me. But I know I'll manage. Claire is going down to St. George with my folks for Suzy's graduation (yeah, Suzy!), so that will really help her. She worries a lot about me. I intend to spend my down-time putting together all of the newspaper articles from my pageant days. I have two entire huge bins to go through. I've already sorted them, so just a bunch of cut and glue work. I'm excited to finally get it done after 8 years. Did I mention that during the sorting I found a card which still contained $50 cash! I did a happy dance. And I promptly spent it on page protectors, cardstock, and other things needed to organize all my stuff. I'm doing a minimalist scrapbook. Nothing special, because I just don't have the time, money, or desire.

So all I want for my birthday is for my surgery to work this time. I'll take as many prayers as I can get. Oh, and for the acne to go away so I can concentrate on the wrinkles :)

8 comments:

  1. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAUGHTER DEAR. We had such a fun time with you all yesterday. I am sure the ladies in the temple locker room are still wondering about the "Crazy Grandma that jumped into a random locker to hide from the beautiful blonde walking down the aisle!" Then the BLUEBIRD.... what can we say.... we have had so very many luncheons there and we LOVE it. Well sweet girl I love you and to me you have always been an "Old Soul" in every way, extremely wise for your years and a great example of strength in all you do. Love your momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I was going to come by with something fun, but I decided to catch Isaac's cold instead. I hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina (Brooks) OlsonMay 1, 2009 at 2:08 AM

    Happy Birthday Jackie!! You will never look your age, you are as beautiful as ever! I saw you leaving Smith's on 4th north the other day, but I wasn't sure if it was you till I got into the store then it was too late. I have acne also and I was pretty sure it would go away by age 26, but no luck. Good luck with your surgery! Don't worry there are many other options when it comes to pain management. I will be praying for a speedy recovery (and for the surgery to work this time!) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so excited to turn 30 also! I think it's still my favorite age. Good luck with the surgery and Happy Birthday yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I'm with you that age is just not the miserable thing that people make it out to be. It's what we are. What we have become. I think you have more adult life experience than most people your age. I certainly think you are amazing.

    Congrats on Taylor's thesis defense. That is so exciting that he's pretty much done. I hope you surgery does what it's supposed to this time around. I will for sure keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday yesterday. I thought of you even though I was a slacker and didn't write you. I hope your surgery goes well and Congrats on Taylor being done.

    Are you going to stay in Logan?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! What acne and what wrinkles! Best wishes with the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm coming up on 30 this month, and I've been surprised how little the big 3-0 has impacted me emotionally. Like it's nothing, not a problem at all, it doesn't even bug me. I remember my Mom crying :-)!

    ReplyDelete