Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter

I braved WalMart this morning for food and Easter essentials. I thought if I went early it would be okay. I'm glad I did. Their Easter aisle was completely gone. There were just remnants scattered in random places throughout the store. I had to look up and down every aisle to find the plastic eggs that weren't already pre-filled with gross candy and/or bubble gum (neither is wanted at our house). Plus how lazy are we that we can't even fill our own eggs anymore? Anyway, I made the whole trip in about 90 minutes. I even found Kyle a cool little set of real-looking keys (his latest obsession).

At the big Salt Lake Primary meeting we went to they encouraged us to listen to the message in the primary songs. I've tried to do that this week. Weird how you can sing songs your whole life and not really hear them. Here's my confession: We sing "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man" a lot at our house. I HONESTLY have always considered it a lesson on obedience or intelligence. Obviously someone told this wise man to build his house on a rock. He did. It stayed still. Good obeying everyone! (As Mickey would say.) That or he was just wise enough to do so. I'm hoping that I just made that assumption before I was old enough to understand metaphors and have never looked for more meaning.

So yesterday I'm listening and re-considering the message. "He built his house upon the rock..." Wait a second...Rock....Rock of Christ...Building a house on the Rock of Christ...Holy cow! That's what it's talking about. I even revealed this to Taylor, who looked at me like I was teaching him the alphabet. Okay, not new to him. Anyway, it meant something to me. Our Primary is currently learning How Firm a Foundation, and Claire and I practice it constantly; it's fun to sing. But I was thinking about how when we build our spiritual homes using the rock of Christ as our foundation, then when the rains come down and the floods come up (the trials of life) that our spiritual homes will remain still, untouched by the storm because of the firm foundation.

That lesson just really stood out to me. We've had a really hard couple of years in many different areas of life, but one area of our life that has remained untouched by the storm is our faith. We have never doubted God's love or His plan for us. In fact, if nothing else, all of our hard times have made us love Him more. If our home had been built upon the sand, all of these things combined could have totally "washed away" our faith. I'm so grateful for the gospel and for Easter time. How perfect to renew our faith and hope as the spring season renews the earth. How wonderful that the atonement is there to complete us when we fail. And how great was conference? I love conference. As we face the next stage of our lives, graduation finally have a career and maybe even a home of our own, I am grateful for Easter, Conference, and spring; all of which combine to make us ready and excited for the steps to come.


PS A little thing to think about...Sing "When He Comes Again" to yourself. If you'd like skip ahead to, "I'm sure he'll call his little ones, ________________ round his knee." Fill in the blank. Are you singing the right words? Are your sure? Check it out: Click Here.

I'm guessing you were singing the wrong words. Weird, huh? Though probably not as weird as my own misheard lyrics for this Primary song. When I was little I was convinced it said, "Little purple PANTIES touch with yellow gold." I had the whole thing invisioned in my mind. It didn't seem odd to me. I still can't hear it saying pansies. I even made a little graphic for you. Maybe it's not the most fitting way to end an Easter post, but...

5 comments:

  1. Jackie - I have always admired the tremendous amount of faith you have. Even those who don't know you personally can recognize your glowing faith.

    And your Purple Panties Picture really is quite outstanding! What says Happy Easter more appropriately than that!!???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple panties? Hilarious. It's funny how we all gather our depth and realizations at different times. Don't feel bad for not catching the meaning in the Wise Men song. We sing that one a lot too BTW. It's catchy. Hope you guys have a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Primary songs . . .I've told everyone who'll listen to me that if it's not in the Primary Hymn book, it shouldn't be sung in Conference! I love when they sing Primary songs in Conference, I end up tearing up faster than about anything . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that brought back lots of memories. I will always hold a special place in my heart for my curly haired blonde baby girl in her red dress singing about her purple panties. It just doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete