Friday, February 22, 2008

My Eye



A number of people have asked about my eye, so here's the deal. I finally got the eye on Valentine's Day. (It's pictured above in its creation process) It unfortunately is not what we expected. When I got myself into this mess I was told that it would be a surgery with a six-week recovery. I would quickly get a prosthetic eye, then possibly an eyelid surgery soon after, and that would be it. Turns out that it's a huge process. I had evisceration surgery December 4, but someone messed up on making appointments so it was 11 weeks until I got the prosthetic. Because of normal residual swelling, the prosthetic won't actually fit properly until June (if I am lucky). In June they'll make it fit correctly and then I'll see the surgeon for major eyelid surgery which will hopefully be in the late summer. Needless to say we're disappointed that I won't look normal until August at the earliest. Right now though the eye itself looks normal, the fit does not look similar to my other eye. It's a different shape, and it's quite far back in the socket. Although I feel better about going in public now than when I had the pirate patch, it's still incredibly disheartening to have expected near-perfection in six weeks and find out it's actually closer to a year before people will stop staring at me.


Fortunately pageants gave me the chance to learn a lot about makeup, and I'm slowly finding ways to mask the differences. Though I can't say I'll be sharing a close-up picture of myself anytime soon. This too shall pass I'm sure, but it sure won't be easy. Anyway, that's my rant for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment