Monday, February 14, 2011

A softening heart

Remember this post about having an open heart? Well, I've been continuing with the experiment. So far it's been great. And it has actually helped me along with my New Year's Resolution to not be the Me Monster. I'm listening to others more and really hearing.

So here's the latest. As it is Valentine's Day, I thought it would be especially appropriate to share today. Today was the day I decided to refill my prescriptions. I needed 5 from two different doctors. The kids needed one each (which as luck would have it they expired four days ago!). I save it for one day because I hate standing in line at the pharmacy. I hate being on hold with doctors waiting to get the expired prescriptions filled (20 minutes 32 seconds today). And really, I hate the lady at the pharmacy at Walmart. She's always bugged me. She's just not nice, nor helpful.

So I made the calls, made sure they were filled, picked up Claire from preschool and then headed to Walmart. I gave Kyle a sucker and put a Dora game on my phone for Claire. The line was not too bad for a Monday (usually I avoid Mondays at the pharmacy and with doctors in general, but I really needed one prescription today). So there I sat, kids occupied and three people in line in front of me. And I saw the lady I don't like; the only employee working the registers. I'll be honest, my first thoughts were of dictating a letter to Walmart (that I would never really send) about how she bugs me. BUT, then I remembered to have an open heart, if for no other reason than to pay homage to the holiday.

I got to the front of the line and she told me that for my eye drops alone (three of them) it would be $215! Last time we had insurance I stocked up on meds, so I had no idea it would be that much. I just stared at her, unable to think of how I could reconcile paying that much for anything. (I say anything because ten dollars is a lot for me to pay for anything). Then she softly said, "Why do you need these?" And for the next few minutes while she was figuring out the rest of my prescriptions we talked about my eye problems and how the meds I need are to stop the constant itching in my eye socket which happens because I am allergic to the prosthetic eye. And how because of those problems I get my health insurance denied every time I apply. She was kind and genuinely concerned. While she couldn't change the prices, I at least felt like someone cared---in fact in her words she said that the prices were B--S---. 

I bought the least expensive (which fortunately is also the most important) eye drop and hope that my doctor will have some samples of the others. Or that I can find another way to pay for them/get samples.

The most surprising thing about my visit happened right after I paid for everything else. She said, "You're a really nice lady. I'm sorry about all of this." Wow. What a change from our usual interactions which in the past have had me walking away thinking, "You're not a very nice lady!" While I am totally bummed about the cost of my medicine and that I can't get health insurance, it didn't totally ruin my day like it would have had she not been so nice about it. It's amazing how this open heart approach can change me and the people with whom I interact.


**photo by seyed mostafa zamani

1 comment:

  1. I have to relay a story here that goes along with this touching post.
    My husbands extended family goes out to dinner every Monday. There is a restaurant we go to regularly, and a waitress we get all the time when we go there. Well, we are a BIG and stressful group to wait on. And it is obvious that she struggles with our demands. Because of the waitresses struggles, a certain person in our family is just plain mean to this waitress. Yesterday we went there and I had decided that I would tell that waitress thank you for putting up with us, and also the grief she gets from the person in our group. So before we ate, I happened to be the first person there, so I took the chance to tell her thank you, and that she does a good job. She was very sweet about it. But then I noticed something unusual. When that certain person in my family walked in, the waitress saw that person, and made a specific effort to be extra nice to that family member, which in turn softened the heart of my family member to be more forgiving of the waitresses shortcomings.
    I am not saying this to boast. I just want to confirm your story, that approaching life with an open heart can have a wave affect. I was scared to thank the waitress for putting up with being treated poorly, but I am so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete