Friday, May 30, 2008

Eye update

Just so I don't have to repeat this information a million times, here's the update.

I saw another ocularist (prosthetic eye maker) in Salt Lake yesterday. I just wanted to get a second opinion on my eye as I'm so disappointed with it. She felt like I was definitely justified in my concerns. It really is the wrong color, the outer ring really is too wide, it isn't aligned correctly, it's too small, and there really isn't enough sclera (white part) next to my nose. She said that the surgery part looks like it went well, but the prosthetic is a failure. She was also much more compassionate than the guy we previously worked with, and seemed to see me as a person, not just another case.

Though I'm extremely disappointed that I really did just get a bad deal, I do feel better knowing that I'm not just being overly sensitive like a lot of people have been telling me (if I hear "I can't tell which eye it is" one more time I'll go crazy!). She feels quite confident that we can at least get the eyeball itself to look exactly like the other, and that with a surgery on both my eyelids I should be a more satisfied.

So for right now it looks like I may be cancelling my appointment to get work on the eye done next week. I'm doing this because it's super expensive to do, and apparently I'll need a brand new eye after the surgeries anyway, so it seems ridiculous to pay so much in our situation where my insurance doesn't cover prosthetics . These eyes are not cheap. The woman I saw yesterday also wants to give me a discount in exchange for using me in advertising---which seems like a great situation, because if she's advertising with me I assume she'll do her very best work. So we have a lot of phone calls and decisions to make, but that's the update for now.

2 comments:

  1. Bummer that it wasn't perfect the first time, but at least there's a remedy in sight and working with a doctor you feel comfortable and yourself with makes a huge difference. Hope it works out! Good luck. BTW, let me know the next time you're in SL for an appointment or whatever and we can meet up for lunch or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry the first one didn't work but it sounds like you are going to have a better situation. That is dumb insurance doesn't cover it. Hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete