Sunday, May 25, 2008

One of the dumbest things I ever did



I was talking to my dad the other day and told him a story about what a couple friends and I did when we were in high school. Looking back I can't believe how incredibly stupid and risky it was for us to do what we did. It's funny how as a teenager you really just can't see consequences very clearly. Anyway, here's the story. The people in it are pictured above from left to right: Michelle, Bryce, Ashleigh (not in the story, but still in the picture), Lee, and me. I think I have the story right, but it has been ten years (yikes! we're old), so, Lee & Michelle, let me know if I'm wrong.

This must have happened during our junior year. Michelle, Bryce, and I were in Bryce's van at the Phillips station getting gas and there were two empty parking stalls in front of us. One of the stalls had what looked like an empty paper bag in it. A car full of seniors guys that we knew pulled into the stall next to the bag. One of them got out, picked up the bag, got back into the car and drove away. We weren't stupid. We were 90% sure that the bag contained drugs. Any normal person may report it to police or just let it go. But not us. Our gas was done pumping and
we were in hot pursuit. We followed the car through the back roads of Lehi for a really long time. They must have known we were following them because they kept trying to lose us, but we kept finding them. At one point they threw the bag out of the car. We of course stopped to retrieve it. We threw it in the van and then continued the pursuit. I don't remember who opened the bag, but I do remember that it took quite a while for one of us to get enough courage to open it (and all the while we were still following them)! We opened the bag and it contained......(drum roll please)......some stale carrots! True story. But it doesn't end there. At that point we rallied and decided to go switch cars and pick up Lee (I think). So we got in Michelle's big white boat of a car, got Lee, drove back to the southern most parts of Lehi and amazingly found the car again. Michelle continued following them, and at this point I'm guessing it has been well over an hour that we've followed them. The height of our evening occurred when they drove into a dead end and turned their car so that they couldn't help but see who their followers were. All of this time we had not considered what would happen when we caught up with them or had to face them. All the while we're facing the immediate need to flip a U-turn in a huge car with these questionably drug-using senior boys waiting for us.I will never forget crouching on the floor
of the car with Bryce. Michelle was screaming "What do I do? What do I do?!" And Bryce yells back, "I don't know what you're going to do Michelle, but you better think of something, and you better think of something fast!" That moment really is one of favorite memories from all of high
school. Michelle did the only thing one can do when coming to a dead end. She slowly, slowly did a three-point turn, which inevitably was five- or six-point turn because of the size of her car and narrowness of the road. The whole time the boys are sitting there with their headlights on our car. I can just see it from their point of view with Michelle, frantic, white-knuckled, and white-faced and the rest of us wimps safely tucked nearly underneath the dash and other chairs. And we drove home. And that was that.

So I told my dad this story, and couldn't believe how stupid we were. These boys obviously had picked up drugs (though what a weird way to distribute them). It couldn't have been anything else. I don't have a lot of experience with drug users, but I'm willing to bet they were ready to fight for the drugs or to protect themselves. I don't think they got a glimpse of who was following them until the end, so they must have been pretty scared. I also remember that when we found the carrots we didn't consider that perhaps they were NOT the original contents of the bag. And I think it is so weird that we were able to leave and switch cars, come back and pick up where we left off. We NEVER considered what we would do if they stopped to confront us. We never even had a clear goal of what we were trying to accomplish in the first place. I guess that just shows that even though we thought we were in an elite group in school, and more intelligent and thinking than a lot of our counterparts, we were still just stupid teenagers who weren't thinking and could have gotten in a whole lot of trouble.

So there's my story. I guess if that's the worst of it I'm pretty lucky :)Think about the dumb things you did when you were a teenager and didn't think ahead about the consequences. Maybe post them on your blog so we can all laugh too.

5 comments:

  1. That is so funny. I am in YW now and I am always amazed at how "old" I feel simply because I see what the girls are doing, remember doing it myself, and think ahh it's so stupid, don't do it! I feel so wise and mature. HA! Anyway, I'm trying to rack my brain for good stupid high schooler story. I'll keep you posted.
    PS-Glad you didn't get shot at the end of that adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you ended up ok. There are so many things I look back and wonder....what was I thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you survived. That was a fun story to learn about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you shared that story...it's true, when you're in high school, you often don't think about what's going to happen two seconds into the future. (And look at you in the picture...long curly hair...nice!!)

    So, your story reminds me of a crazy time in high school when my friends and I would go "Barfing". Yes - you read that correctly. We would make this terrible concoction – mostly made of oatmeal…then all cram into my friend's huge brown van. From then on it was just a matter of waiting until we hit a red light on State Street in Orem. The person in the passenger seat was the "barfer". Once stopped, that lucky person would duck down, fill their mouth with the oatmeal, and then pretend to throw it up out the window. You should have seen all the crazy and mortified looks we got from onlookers in other cars. All the while - the rest of us laughing hysterically in the back of the van. Wow. I was really weird in high school!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jac, that is such a funny story!! I can totally picture you guys doing that! HAHA.
    We all did silly things in high school that at the time we thought it was just "innocent" fun....But years later when you "finally" tell your parents about the so called fun you had (like going cruising for guys at 2:30 in the morning when your parents are out of town and they think you're safe in your bed) you realize what an idiot you were and hope and pray that your children will never do such dumb things! :O)

    ReplyDelete