Thursday, March 11, 2010

cooking

I love to cook. LOVE it. I don't like to cook with my kids around though. Maybe it stems from the fact that when I was a toddler I leaned over a bowl in which my mother was mixing cheesecake---my hair got stuck in the beaters and literally pulled out at the roots. A lot of my hair. 1/4 of my head was bald to the skin. I spent the summer with a comb-over. I still remember the sound of the mixer and my mother screaming. I don't remember the pain though.

Anyway, for whatever reason it bugs me to cook with the kids. Every once in a while when I'm feeling overly generous and willing to test my patience I allow them to cook with me by my choice. I am getting better. The other day they helped me make homemade pizza. It was good, and I didn't freak out.

Last night I made a copy-cat recipe for Sizzler's Malibu Chicken. It's been on TV commercials a lot, and for some reason I just love it. I looked up the recipe and was thrilled that I could cook it from my pantry staples without any special trip to the store. I burned a couple pieces, but even they were delicious. It cooked so quickly and easily. And it was kind of fun. And my kids stayed out of the kitchen.

Here's the recipe if you're at a loss for what to make and don't want to go to the store (For the ham I used the Canadian bacon I keep frozen in my freezer).

Malibu Chicken:

Directions

  1. Stir egg and 1 tablespoons water together with a fork.
  2. Combine flour, salt and pepper and coat each chicken piece, dip into egg mixture and then coat with breadcrumbs making sure to press crumbs in firmly.
  3. Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium heat.
  4. Brown chicken 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
  5. Place browned chicken on cookie sheet or oven proof platter, top each piece with a slice of ham and slice of cheese.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees, until cheese melts.
  7. For the dipping sauce combine mustard and mayonnaise.

1 comment: