Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Teach Me Tuesday

I've decided to start a new series on my blog. Teach Me Tuesday.


Background: I graduated with a major in English and a minor in editing. My BYU class was the first to have that option. I love words, and I love grammar. I'm not always perfect here on my blog. I don't really think it is a place to require perfection, but I do try my best and give everything I write a quick once-over before I push publish. I know most of the rules---or I know how to look them up. Sometimes I choose to break the rules when I'm writing. For example: I love to start sentences with conjunctions---sometimes I just feel strongly that a sentence needs to begin with "And." I figure since I know the rules I can break the less set-in-stone rules.

And to the point: I thought it would be good review for me, and good information for whoever cares to read it, to review some basic grammar principles. First up: The Plural Apostophe

There is a trend out there where people use the apostrophe to make things plural (plural=more than one).

Here is a bad example: I saw two dog's on the side of the road.
The correct way to write that would be: I saw two dogs on the side of the road.

Whenever you want to indicate that something is plural, or more than one, just add an s. If the word ends in s, z, ch, sh, or x add es to the end. No need for an apostrophe here folks! Of course there are times where an ies is needed, or it requires another word entirely (person/people), but that's why we have spell check!

Here's the exception to the rule (there are always exceptions to every rule!):
When you want to make a specific number or letter plural, you'll need to use an apostophe:

I have two r's in my last name.
I have one number 2 and no number 3's.

Now, I can almost hear you asking, "What about my CD collection? Do I have CDs or CD's?" Here's the easy answer: You have compact discs. Whenever you're unsure, just change it up!


Stay tuned for next week where you'll learn that there actually is a time to use an apostrophe before an s!

4 comments:

  1. There's a store in Las Vegas that has a sign on the front that says "We sell Mattress's." I want to go in and punch them! I'm no grammer guru but I know that much! Sheesh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was given a sign for my front door once by someone close to me that says "The Bearss's Family" It is vinyl lettering and I could scratch off the extra "s" but it is endearing to me so I leave it. It makes me smile. Sometimes rules can be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should explain the whole who/whom thing. I've never gotten that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know the difference between effect and affect. I'll wait to be taught on a future Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete