Monday, March 7, 2011

I wrote a book once

At the cemetery after the funeral, March 4, 2011
I wrote a book once. I typed it, edited it, scanned over 500 (maybe 600?) pictures, put it into InDesign, and took it to a publisher. It was about my grandma's life story. I started it in 2001 and spent about 25 hours interviewing and typing up about 20 pages. Then again in 2003 as I finished up college I spent almost 200 hours scanning pictures and finishing her story up to the late 1960s. Then I got a job, had a baby, had another baby, and life happened.

The cover of the book

Then in 2008 I picked it up again right after Grandma turned 92. This time I spent hours and hours perfecting the story, adding forty years, adding hundreds of pages of memories from children and grandchildren, journals, ancestor histories, and much, much more. Probably 400 hours of work (or more) and nearly one year later I had a beautiful 503 page book. Grandma loved roses, so we titled the book "Roses in December" and included the quote on the cover: "God gave us memories that we might have roses in December."

The back cover of the book
It was a lot of work. I spent most naptimes and many late hours working on it. But it was a labor of love, and (especially now) I am so grateful that I had that chance to spend so much time getting to know my grandmother and her progenitors. What a treasure I have in the memories, the book, the pictures scanned and discussed, the hours of tape spent interviewing her. A couple days after her death I pulled out the tapes. I thought I'd break down when I heard them, but instead I just smiled at her strong voice, her quick wit, and her easy laugh.

Each child and grandchild wrote a little tribute for the book. I wanted to share mine here:



    My earliest memory of Grandma is from the morning the twins were born.  I was one week from my third birthday, and I vividly remember that I woke up, walked down the hall and saw her sitting on the couch. She was wearing a pink sweater and said “Jackie, the twins were born this morning!” Later that week over a package of diapers in her front room she taught me how to hold my chubby fingers up and say, “I’m three.”
    While the twins were babies I spent a lot of time with Grandma, sleeping over many nights. Every night before we went to bed she would read me a story, usually the “one with the clock.” I would sleep next to her bed, and as I would fall asleep she would reach down and hold my hand. One day we were having tomato soup at the counter and she put my hair in pigtails, tied with red bow because “Grandpa likes it that way.”
    Because we live only three blocks away from her, she would always walk us home when it was time to go. Grandma taught me how to skip during these walks  I can still remember following behind her, trying to mimic each hop and knowing that I had the best grandma in the world. She would drop me off and say, “See you later, Alligator,” and I’d reply, “In a while Crocodile.” 
    A few years later I went to the library after school on a cold, rainy day. Grandma put a stack of magazines on the old heat register, sat me on top of them and gave me a pile of books to read. I remember getting my first library card. I was so proud because my grandma worked at the library, the most wonderful place in the world. Sometimes I was very lucky and Grandma would let me help her go out to the old silver book drop and bring in the books.
    Grandma always had ice cream with any sauce we wanted, and we could put nuts on it too. We have Chex mix and slush for Christmas. On New Years we march around her block banging pots and pans. She visits on every birthday and makes chocolate nests for Easter. 
    Grandma and I love sunsets.  For as long as I can remember we would call each other whenever we saw a beautiful sunset. 
    During high school Lee and I would stay with Grandpa after school while Grandma rested or did other things. During this time I learned the true meaning of undying love and devotion. I could see the love and care in her eyes as she spoke to him.  I looked forward to the day that I could love someone so much. Grandpa was still worrying about her at this time, just months before he passed away. I remember answering the phone once to hear him saying that Grandma was sick and sleeping at the time; he wanted my mom to come check on her.
    Grandma is a sounding board—every time I am sad or frustrated or excited or happy I go to Grandma and she listens. She offers hot chocolate and gives advice only when asked for.  She is very animated if I have been mistreated. She is honest if I am in the wrong.
    Everyone who knows Grandma loves her. She is always a lady—beautiful and soft-spoken. She loves her children and desires nothing more than their happiness. She is the most selfless person I know. She is gracious and kind. She is generous with time and money. 
    For the rest of my life, whenever I see a sunset I will think of Grandma. I will imagine her waving to me from the carport window, one hand and then the other as she waves goodbye—and I will blow a kiss to say I love you.


    I was blessed with the best grandma in the world. My heart is forever changed, forever a little sad at her passing. But I do know that I will see her again. I can't wait for that day---and I can't wait to meet her parents and grandparents too, because through her I feel like I really know them. I am certain that their reunion in heaven has been a great one. Maybe she can recruit them to find more babies for me! Grandma loved babies more than anything else. I'm sure she'll find just the right one for me. If that day comes, the moment I see light in that child's eyes and feel its warmth on my face I will treasure it, because I will know it came from her.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, simply beautiful. Love you "lil jac"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sincere and beautiful tribute! Writing a book is a massive project. You did such a fine job.

    ReplyDelete