Sunday, July 25, 2010

Seasons of life

When I was Miss Utah my platform was Organ Donation Awareness. Starting from my first pageant in early 1999 until the end of my reign as Miss Utah in June 2002 it was my "platform." After I was Miss Utah until August 2004 it was my daily job as I traveled the state bringing the awareness message to high school and junior high students. It wasn't just my platform, it was--- and continues to be---my passion.

Until I was pregnant with Kyle I was still heavily involved in many organ donation things in Utah. I was on the Community Advisory Board for Intermountain Donor Services. I attended many functions and meetings. I firmly believe that there is a time and season for everything we want to do in life. Though it was very, very difficult to do, I resigned from my position on the Board and decided to concentrate on my season of mothering. I had a wonderful season of community service. And I have every intention of returning to further my involvement with organ donation once I am no longer in my full-time mothering season.

I spent every Thursday during my reign as Miss Utah fund raising and speaking and schmoozing and doing all sorts of planning to make it possible to have a monument to organ donors on Library Square. Two things happened: The monument was made and dedicated in 2004. And my life was forever changed as I spent my days with Jeannene Barham, Lisa Hawthorne, and Maureen Schwendiman. They tutored me in service, life, religion, and love as we tirelessly crusaded across the United States in support of organ donation.

I am lucky because I have the monument as tactile proof of my efforts. Though it certainly didn't happen solely because of me, I'd like to think I was a big part of it. The other day we were at the Salt Lake Library, and I thought about showing Claire the monument at Library Square. I don't know why I hadn't shared it with her before. But I'm glad I waited.

It was a perfect spring day in April. She wandered around loving the statues and waiting for the water to come from the fountain. It was everything we had imagined in those early planning stages: Children coming to a place where they would laugh and play and learn.
This is a picture of Taylor and Claire waiting for the fountain to turn on. We designed it so that it would turn on at random intervals and the viewer had to wait for it to turn on----much like those who are waiting for organs, never knowing just when the moment would be.


This is my favorite picture of the day. I love her shadow, the waiting water, and the hope of spring in the pink trees. We explained to her that it was fun to be Miss Utah, but the thing that was important was what the monument represents: lives have been saved, and lives will continue to be saved because of organ donation. The top picture is a stone with my name and title engraved on it. Miss America gave special permission for part of my scholarship to donate $1,500 toward the building of the monument, so I got a paver. It's a reminder to me of my season of service. That one person (combined with a lot more great individuals) can make a lasting difference. I love my season of being a mother. And I look forward to another season of community service. I still think there are big things ahead of me.

4 comments:

  1. YOU are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it's been awhile! Love all the post's, especially the scrapbook pages, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing thing to be a part of! I loved that blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Quest for the Gift of Life Foundation and Intermountain Donor Services were the very best part of watching your success during your year as Miss Utah. As you said the pageant life can be fun, the opportunities - many, BUT the cherished life long friendships that were formed with the honest, kind, charitable, selfless organizers and volunteers in the donation community were what made it all so very worthwhile. Smiles, applause, and crowns all fade BUT TRUE HONEST FRIENDSHIPS BASED ON TRUST, RESPECT AND MUTUAL HARD WORK FOR SUCH A GREAT CAUSE LIVE FOREVER AND THAT, AS YOU KNOW SO WELL DEAR DAUGHTER WILL NEVER DIM. I am so honored to be your mom and I am so eternally grateful for your goodness. Love MOM AND a great big PS to Kerry Lynn, Melissa and Shar WE LOVE YOU WITH ALL OF OUR HEARTS and know how blessed we all have been to have you in our lives...........

    ReplyDelete