Thursday, May 20, 2010

Family History: I am doing it

I have been bitten by the bug. I started doing genealogy on Monday. Today is Thursday and I have stopped in the evenings only because Bethany has been kind enough to come over and help me re-upholster our recliner (which is looking FABULOUS. We’ve spent 8 hours so far and have 4-5 more to go. Thanks so much, Bethany). I even dreamed about genealogy last night. I even have gone to such lengths as to give my kids shovels and turn them loose on our dirt front yard while I sit researching on the porch.

 

Last night was somewhat of a victory. See this picture?

0520001436

On the right is my grandpa, Lester Holcomb, who was born in 1905. The boy on the left is Harold H Owen, also born in 1905. They are cousins, and Harold was a special friend to my grandpa. Grandpa was not raised a member of the church (his conversion story deserves it's own post), and only the work for the direct Holcomb line from father to father has been done (and boy, is it done! it’s all the way back to the 1300s.) This leaves a lot of work.

Anyway, last night I was able to find Harold H Owen and his family. Did you know that you can research your genealogy and then get it all ready to go to the temple from the comfort of your own home? https://new.familysearch.org/en/action/unsec/welcome allows you to find your family, see who hasn’t had work done, then reserve ordinances online? All I need to do is print out the names I have ready, take them to the temple, and they’ll print out the cards right there for you. It’s THAT easy! And I love it. I have at least a hundred ordinances ready with plans for a bunch more.

So this has replaced my indexing obsession temporarily, but I think that’s okay. One thing is for certain, the spirit of Elijah is alive and well at our house!

2 comments:

  1. Impressive! I'll be doing it too someday!
    And . . . I can't wait to see the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiration you are!! I had no idea it could be so easy.

    ReplyDelete