Wednesday, August 20, 2008

How I really look one week later

If you look through my blog you'll quickly notice that there are no pictures of me. My "small" surgery in December that was suppose to come along with a long six week recovery. I agonized over how I would make it through. Then those six weeks became eleven weeks, and I cried for days. Eleven weeks passed, and then the doctors let me know that it would really be close to a year and multiple surgeries. I am now 9 1/2 months into that long year and two surgeries down. I have made a point to stay out of pictures as much as possible. However, to document the progress that has been made, and really just to show off my really cool bruise, I am going to post a picture of what has been done to me.

The pictures are kind of gross, so don't look if you're not prepared. I wanted to show the HUGE improvement that has been made even with how funny I do look right now. Hopefully everyone who donated to my surgery can feel like they've made a good decision. Once I get the new eye in October I'll definitely be sharing more (and hopefully better) pictures.

I want to preface it by saying that it really doesn't hurt anymore. Well, the pretend pretend eye that is jammed in there does hurt. It has some rough edges. Hopefully the swelling will be gone soon so that we can put a "realer" eye in there. I included a picture of me from Miss America. You can see that it wasn't perfect, but it looked pretty good. (I also chose one from Miss America because the whole "beauty pageant winner" thing seems a little ironic. And those earrings are always worth a second look---I love them!)

The next picture literally makes my stomach sick when I see it, but I'm okay to share it because I know I don't look like that anymore. It was taken on Easter, so four months after the first surgery. This is how I have looked since December. When you see it you'll see why I've been complaining so much (and why I've ignored so many of you in your requests to meet up with you for lunch/dinner when we're in town). Seeing it also really makes me irritated when I think of all the times people (I'm sure who meant well) say that they can't see the difference. Um, okay...

The next picture is how I look today. And I put makeup on one eye and did a little smile because I still have a small amount of self-respect. Though looking at it now I should have added some lipgloss:)

So here it is. Click on the picture and make it bigger to see the cool colors in my bruise.

You can see that the creases are a similar shape and that it is much less hollow. If the eye in there wasn't in that ridiculous position it would be fine. I really feel bad it's not closer to Halloween, I could win contests.

One day I'm going to blog on the emotional toll this has taken on me, and the lessons that we think we were meant to learn from all of it. But for now, at least it's getting better.

5 comments:

  1. First of all, you are always beautiful.

    I am so excited that things seem to be working out with your surgery. It will be great when you are all healed up and won't feel self conscious about it. WHen you are up for it I really would like to get together. I have never met Kyle and would love to see Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are some seriously amazing earrings! ;) Not to mention pouffy hair. Anyway, I am so sorry that this has been so difficult for you. I can only imagine what it must have been like. I can tell the difference in the middle pic, of course, but you still do NOT look ugly. I'm glad you posted a pic because reading about it, I wasn't really sure what you were talking about with the hollowness thing. Even with the bruise and "Mad-Eye" I can tell it's going to look amazing. Much more similarly shaped. I can't wait to see the final product. I hope that you have an awesome bruise story and that you are feeling so much better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you have had to go through this. Someday, (maybe when you are as old as I am!!) you will probably be able to look back and figure out what it was that you were suppose to learn from this trial in your life. I have learned that life doesn't always turn out how we planned it to. Anyway, we love you guys and hopefully everything will keep progressing how you want it to. I love seeing your little ones and how cute they are. I'll bet your mom is loving being a grandma. Tell them all Hi for me.
    Love ya,
    Sherie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie - That bruise will go down in history - WOW! However, I can see what you mean...the shape does look much more realistic and natural after this last surgery. I'm so sorry this has been such a long road for you. As was mentioned above - you DO always look beautiful, but I'm so happy that you have the start of something that you can be proud of. Once again - you are a tough Cookie....the Bruise...wow...you could make up some incredible stories. Although, the real story is already traumatic enough. Miss you - you beautiful lady you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say that you are amazing dealing with all of this. You have always been a great example to me of courage and strength, and you continue to be even more now. Being able to smile at all, lip gloss or no, is a testament of your strength. I hope all continues to go well, and you recover fully.

    ReplyDelete