Sunday, July 13, 2008

Oh the pageants!

Last night was the final night of the Miss Utah pageant. I only made it to one night this year as we live so far away and Kyle is still so unwilling to drink from a bottle. We had our traditional big dinner with family and friends at Charlie Chow's and had great seats at Capitol Theater. My parents and Suzy and I sat in the past queen section with Natalie Johnson, Amy Davis, Julia Bachison, Katie Millar (who is due in six weeks), and a couple more queens who are even more ancient history than I am!

The evening gowns were quite nice, something that has sometimes been lacking lately. The show was a little more laid back, and I liked that, although I know a lot of people would disagree. I think though it is nice to have a big flashy show, it's so much better to put the money into scholarships and Miss America preparation and wardrobe. Here's the winner, Miss Sanpete County (I'm assuming this is a first for them): Kayla Barclay.

She's a pianist, so I always like that. She had sleeves and a one-piece swimsuit. I like both of those things too. I'm excited to see more of her, and to see how she looks by Miss America. I'm very interested in seeing her resume as it seems she captivated the judges from the beginning winning both a swimsuit and evening wear preliminary. She's just 18 and from Manti (not that that's bad, 20 and from Lehi isn't much better!).

In other pageant news. Thanks to Kerry Lynn who called to remind me that the Miss Universe pageant was on. I turned the TV on just in time to see Miss USA fall for the second year in a row. In case you missed it or want to see it again (and again and again), here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vJURP0XuQ0

(And by the way, I fell down the stairs in a pageant, so I have every right to post that.)

3 comments:

  1. I heard it was this weekend and thought of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this...I wish I could have been there. When I checked the website and saw "Miss Sanpete" county...I was so intrigued. It sounds like you had fun watching with the other Queens. My mom and I always talk about how there hasn't been a Miss Utah who has really "served" the State since Jackie Hunt! And it's true.

    And Ahhh... the "Why Isn't She Winning" Girl...it always makes me sad for the contestant who gets that title...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read about this from your perspective. Fun that you get a special place to sit in the theater and everything. I would love to watch Miss America with you to hear your commentary. :)

    ReplyDelete